I cannot say enough about this pasta. It is so delicious.
Traditional vodka sauce calls for heavy cream. In this lightened version, I subbed in Greek yogurt for the cream, and don’t even miss it. In fact, LJ said that this was the best pasta I’d ever made.
Creamy Lite Rosé Ziti
- 16 oz pasta (I like ziti for this recipe)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can San Marzano whole tomatoes
- ¼ c water (swished in the San Marzano can first)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, about ½ lb, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 8 oz fresh spinach
- ½ c 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 servings raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 c + more for plating freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package insturctions. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet with high sides. Add onions and sauté until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add canned tomatoes and their juices by roughly crushing them in your hand as you add them to the pan.
- Swish the water in the tomato can before adding it to the mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add the bay leaf and salt. Stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a vigorous simmer, then lower the heat to maintain a medium simmer. Continue simmering until the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened, about 25 minutes. Stir gently as needed. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add mushrooms, chopped tomatoes and sugar. Stir to combine. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms release their water.
- Add spinach. Stir to combine, cover and cook until spinach is wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Don’t skip this resting step because if you put the yogurt in now, it could separate and not properly blend with the marinara.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and add the shrimp. Stir to coat the shrimp and cook until just pink, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta, shrimp, grated parmesan and yogurt to the tomato mixture. Stir to combine and heat until just warmed through.
- Divide the pasta into pasta bowls and top with extra grated parmesan. Enjoy!
Mention @the.neon.kitchen or tag #theneonkitchen!