Huevos Rancheros are a personal favorite of mine. In this version, I skip the tortillas and sub in sweet potatoes. It’s the perfect healthy southwestern combination of flavors.
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know I’m all about the toppings. At a minimum, I like to add salsa, cilantro, avocado and feta to my huevos rancheros. This dish is also fantastic with a dollop of guacamole and greek yogurt. Go ahead and get creative with your toppings.
If you need a refresher on how to poach your eggs, take a look at this simple step-by-step guide.
Sweet Potato Huevos Rancheros
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into ½" cubes
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp water, separated
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp hot Mexican chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt + more to taste
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans (no salt added), rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 6 eggs, poached
- fresh salsa
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- Heat olive oil in large skillet with high sides over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they begin to turn translucent, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally as needed.
- Add the sweet potatoes and ¼ cup water. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occassionally to avoid burning.
- Add the garlic, chipotle powder, cumin, hot Mexican chili powder, salt, tomatoes and remaining 2 tbsp water. Stir to combine and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the corn, beans, and ½ of the lime and stir to combine. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- If you cut your potato into larger cubes, it might take additional time to cook. Simply continue to cook the mixture until the sweet potatoes are tender, adding a tbsp of water as needed to avoid burning.
- To assemble the bowls, place a serving of the sweet potatoe mixture in the bottom of a large bowl. Gently place poached egg on the mixture. Garnish with your choice of toppings and finish with freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!
Mention @the.neon.kitchen or tag #theneonkitchen!