Is it currently the middle of summer with a heat index in the 90s? Yes. Does that stop me from craving this soup? Nope. It’s simple, healthy and super flavorful. There’s never not a good time to eat it.
Using the proper coconut milk is the key to this dish. Fat free coconut milk is absolutely out of the question. Full-fat, or lite coconut milk (so long as it includes guar gum), are the only varieties that will bring you the rich flavor you love. Otherwise, the broth will be watery and bland. I opt for a lite, unsweetened coconut milk myself.
Need a refresher on how to poach an egg? Check out my simple steps here.
Thai Vegetable and Shrimp Soup
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- ½ a bunch of swiss chard, stems separated from leaves
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 13½ oz can lite, unsweetened coconut milk- I like Native Forest.
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- a few shakes of curry powder and Garam Masala
- juice of 1 lime
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 eggs, poached
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add shrimp and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until pink, about 3-4 minutes stirring as needed. Set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, mushroom, bell pepper and stems from the Swiss chard and to the stockpot. Cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Stir in ginger and cook an additional minute.
- Whisk in curry paste until well combined, about 1 minute. Gradually stir in coconut milk and vegetable broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until incorporated, 1-2 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the swiss chard leaves after 5 minutes of cooking.
- Add cooked shrimp to the stockpot and continue to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- To plate, place a serving of rice in the bottom of a soup bowl and ladle in the soup.
- Top with a poached egg, cilantro and Sriracha and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Mention @the.neon.kitchen or tag #theneonkitchen!